I remember my first experience using thermography. It was while working at the IBV (Institute of Biomechanics of Valencia). I was immersed in a R&D project about heating systems in sports clothing. One of my colleagues asked me to perform some thermal images for the report. The thermographic camera was quite big, like a video camera television. It was inside of a box and no one had used it, probably because no much researchers knew of its existence. I made the images, but I did not follow any protocol or really understand its camera operation. In my opinion, that first experience exemplifies the first experience that many people are having today in laboratories and research centres.
It is true that the difference between today and my first experience is that now the cameras are more manageable, cheaper and better quality, and there are a greater number of studies in sports science. But in many cases, infrared thermography is coming to laboratories as a new instrument which is cheap and very interesting, and researchers begin to use it without having a significant knowledge in its methodology, in the physics of heat transfer and thermoregulation, or in the research studies performed in sports science to date.
1. Introduction: Historical Perspective of Infrared Thermography and Its Application in Sport Science
2. Physics Principles of the Infrared Thermography and Human Thermoregulation
3. Methodological Aspects of Infrared Thermography in Human Assessment
4. Infrared Thermography for the Detection of Injury in Sports Medicine
5. The Use of Infrared Thermography in the Study of Sport and Exercise Physiology
6. Infrared Thermography in Water Sports
7. Assessment of Sport Garments Using Infrared Thermography
8. Assessment of Equipment Using Infrared Thermography in Sports
9. Infrared Thermography: A Possible Role in Psychophysiology of Sport
10. Foot Temperature Assessment
11. The Application of Infrared Thermography in Equestrian Sport
12. Issues and Future Developments of Infrared Thermography in Sports Science
Title: Application of Infrared Thermography in Sports Science
Author: Jose Ignacio Priego Quesada